American workers spend a large amount of time at work, in settings that are not practical to engage in healthy behaviors.
What is a worksite wellness program?
A worksite wellness program is a plan that is designed to improve the physical, mental and emotional well-being of all workers in a workplace. Worksite wellness programs can include activities designed to change eating habits, physical activity, stress management and tobacco use.
What are the benefits of a worksite wellness program?
Studies have shown significant benefits to employees as well as employers that establish worksite wellness programs. Some of these include:
- Reduced Absenteeism
- Healthier employees spend less time out of work sick
- Reduced Healthcare claims
- Healthier workers are less likely to develop chronic diseases
- Healthier workers are less expensive to insure
- Reduced employee turnover
- Worksite wellness programs that are company sponsored send a signal to the community that your company cares about its workforce
- More people will be willing to stay
- Improved productivity and morale
- More people will be attracted to your company
- Regular exercise has been seen to improve worker’s concentration
What is the role of Make Healthy Happen Miami?
Make Healthy Happen Miami will promote worksite wellness programs to organizations in Miami-Dade County. Make Healthy Happen Miami will connect you to resources to help you implement a worksite wellness program. What you can do:
Take care of yourself and be a role model for your co-workers.
- Bring nutritious snacks and lunches to the office
- Park in the space farthest away from your building
- Drink water instead of soda
- Take stretch breaks
- Get your yearly flu shot
- Ask your human resources manager if wellness activities are available
- Join worksite wellness activities if available
- If no activities exist, start small. Try forming a lunch walking club
- Form a committee with your co-workers if no worksite wellness program is available
- Help design a health-friendly work environment and organization-wide wellness policies
For more information: http://healthymiamidade.org/committees/worksite-wellness